Monday, June 8, 2015

Taking a Sabbatical



Dictionary.com defines sabbatical this way: any extended period of leave from one's customary work, especially for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc.

Since my customary work for the last few years has been as the manager of a quilt shop, then I guess it is fair to say that I am on a sabbatical. In other words...I'm no longer the manager of a quilt shop and I'm "between jobs."

I'm allowing myself (with extreme gratitude to my husband) to take a much needed break from employment. Since my job generally didn't come with fringe benefits such as paid time off and since I've had to work the majority of Saturdays for the last 5 years, there are plenty of things around the house and in life generally that have gone undone. So, this is my time. 

I enjoy waking up to each day stretched out in front of me like a long road. There is so much potential and a very long task list. It is easy to get distracted and fill the time with things that are of no consequence like surfing the web and watching HGTV, so I am trying to be purposeful about planning tasks that bring progress to projects that I've dreamt of working on for as long as I can remember. One of those projects is blogging. I'm not making any trite promises about future performance, but I do plan to post more frequently. 

As my blog subtitle says my goal for the blog is focusing on being positive and finding the beauty in life. What's positive and beautiful in my life right now is time. And I'm thankful that I have a chunk of it to do whatever I please, at least for a little while.

No comments: