Saturday, September 5, 2009

Grocery Planning


After perusing the local grocery store ads, I've concluded that the bulk of our grocery shopping will take place at Ralphs this week. With $80 to spend for a week's allotment of groceries, this will be a challenging trip.

My first focus is finding the best values on meat. I already have frozen chicken tenders and sirloin patties, so I'm looking to round things out with some pork. Ralphs has pork roast on sale for $1.99 per pound and smoked sausage for $2.00 each. The next focus is on produce. The following deals on produce will round out the essentials:
  • Green grapes - $.49
  • personal watermelon - $1.47 each
  • peeled carrots - $.79
  • peaches/nectarines - $.79
  • Mushrooms - $1.79
  • Russet Potatoes - 2 lbs/$1.00
  • Broccoli - $.99
I'll add in some dairy, bread products and paper goods, plus crackers, flour, lunch meat and jello paired with coupons that will double and I think I may have a few bucks leftover to bargain hunt for some extras like chips, granola bars and other miscellaneous goodies.

Eighty bucks should be plenty.

No comments: