Sunday, November 23, 2008

To-Do List



It's so nice to complete a task that has been on my to-do list for a while. It wasn't a have-to-do. It was more of a want-to-do. I have a few Christmas gifts I'd like to make for family members. I just haven't been able to get to the sewing machine. I'm not sure if it's a real time shortage, a plethora of distractions or some sort of sewers block, but I wasn't creating anything new.

I certainly don't lack for projects so that's not the problem. I seem to find time for the mending, but not for the sewing - not for the fun stuff. Only by making myself start the project was I able to get motivated to finish it. It didn't even take very long...only a few hours.

That perfectionist in me wants to have everything I make turn out perfectly. My inner realist tells me to forget perfection and shoot for completion. As I sewed I realized that it's about neither perfection nor completion, but it's about enjoyment.

Sewing is what I enjoy. I tend to put it off until all the work is done. But life keeps whizzing by and I keep working and the enjoyment (sewing) keeps getting postponed indefinitely. Sometimes for me the tough choice is the decision to play - to let the floor stay dirty, leave the laundry in the basket, let the bills sit and focus on something that is just for me. It's funny how playing hooky from daily responsibilities feels so indulgent, even if it's only for a morning. But that's what I did - indulge, play hooky, sew, and make a Christmas gift. Yeah!

I'm thankful that I have the ability and freedom to exercise my passions. God has made me a creative being and given me the resources to explore that creativity. Sewing needs to make it on my to-do list more often.

Want to see what I made?



What r u thankful 4?

No comments: